1st draft screenplay for Cage Concept

 This is my first attempt at screen writing. So don't judge me too harshly!



FADE IN



Int. Cage room.

Protag is cramped into a small cage in the corner of the room. They are 

wide awake, visibly upset and disturbed. In the room is a small table with 

a key on top, presumably the key opens the cage, there’s an open doorway 

that goes out to the high street(?).             


            PROTAG

        Help me! I need help, I’m trapped!


                    ...

                   

EXT. The high street(?), it’s early morning, not very busy. SAVIOUR hears 

the call of PROTAG. They enter the cage room.


SAVIOUR

Hello 


            PROTAG

    Hello, Hello. Thank God! Please help me. Let me out!


                    SAVIOUR

            Oh. What’s going on? Why are you in there?


                    PROTAG

    I’m stuck in a cage! Someone trapped me! Look, there’s a key over 

there you can use to open it up!


                    SAVIOUR

    Who trapped you here? Are they coming back?


                    PROTAG

    I don’t know, they knocked me unconscious, just open the cage!


                SAVIOUR looks scared

            I’m calling the police!


                    PROTAG

    Get me out first! Please! It’s cramped in here!


                    SAVIOUR

            Um. Alright! Alright!


    SAVIOUR briefly turns to get the key from the table and then turns 

back to watch PROTAG.


                    PROTAG

                    Quickly! 


    SAVIOUR goes to the cage and attempts to open the lock, occasionally 

turning around to watch their back. They struggle to open the door.


                    SAVIOUR

            I’m not sure if this is the right key.


                    PROTAG

                It has to be! Keep trying!


                    SAVIOUR

        How long have you been awake?


                    PROTAG

            I only just got up.



    SAVIOUR finally unlocks the door and opens the cage. Relief washes 

over PROTAG. PROTAG leaves the cage and hastily makes their way back to 

the high street.


EXT. High street. It is much busier outside. PROTAG looks around, dazed. 


BEAT


                SAVIOUR

            Do you want me to call the police now?


                PROTAG

            Yes!


[[[CUT POLICE CALL]]].



    PROTAG puts down phone and passes it back to SAVIOUR


                PROTAG

        Thank you so much for your help!



    SAVIOUR smiles, PROTAG is still dazed and doesn’t move.


                SAVIOUR

Are you alright? Do you want me to stay with you for a bit?



    PROTAG returns to their senses

No, It’s alright I’m fine. Thank you so much!



SAVIOUR leaves and the busy street turns into a blur.




INT. Protag’s Home


PROTAG sits down, blank expression,completely still. For a while.

Suddenly becomes a montage of various scenes where PROTAG is alone, or 

when they are with friends but humorously remains aloof. There's a scene 

of PROTAG standing in a foggy field.


            PROTAG (V.O)

[maybe the V.O is a different voice]

       

    I was only in that cage for a couple minutes, but it felt like forever. 

And when I finally left.. I was living the high life! I was in 

Prison! But now where am I? It’s like a cruel grey soup, an empty, foggy 

field, a lifeless landscape. And.. no matter where I go.. no matter what I 

do.. I always end up.. in the same place!



Suddenly it takes a dark turn. There are Scenes of PROTAG being active and 

building a cage or buying a cage on the internet. Then locking themselves 

in.


                PROTAG (V.O)

    There’s only one cure! For my loneliness, My emptiness, My lack of 

motivation.. And purpose. I need to return.. To the cage.



PROTAG awakens in the cage, calling for help.


                                                    FADE OUT

Comments